14 June 2008

Berlin

Like I said before, our hosts here are great. All along the way we have stayed with amazing people, and it's definitely been a God thing, because we haven't had one problem yet (although I can't speak for our hosts- hopefully they feel the same way!) But with Libby and Theo, our Berlin hosts, it has been extra special; they are actually Berlin natives unlike our other hosts who have all been missionaries from America. It has been so exciting to see Berlin through the excitement and pride that they both have when the guide us around.

The city itself has been fun. You see the phases of history in the architecture as you move through the streets. Buildings are modern, with zig-zag architecture and chaotic floor plans like the Jewish museum, grandiose with flourishes and sandstone exteriors like the national history museum and surrounding buildings, streamlined with straight lines and 90° angles, and so many other styles that I can't describe with my limited knowledge of architecture and terms.

The Jewish museum was one of my favorite stops: their collection and the presentation of it was incredible. I really appreciated how factual everything was presented, without being watered down with opinion, pity, or bias. There was an honesty and insight into the Jewish peoples lives and history that really brought the scope of what the Jewish community had experienced into focus.

Yesterday Libby took us on a whirlwind tour of spots we had not yet visited. Along the way she stopped at the Berlin wall, and we were able to walk along and see the art that has been created over the years. I really cannot fully grasp the division that had been in place for so long, but I think I can catch glimpses of the footprint that was left so long ago.

I find it both intriguing and heart wrenching that so many people here still carry the guilt for what happened so long ago, and I wonder if and when they will be able to forgive themselves for the atrocities that happened so long ago... It's not so heavy that you constantly feel it clouding everyones daily lives, but you definately notice it.

1 comment:

easytravel said...

great couple in travel way. thanks for share.I like traveling too. see you on my blog.